General Information
Travel Details
Places to Visit
Places of Worship
Fairs and Festivals
Utility Services


Udhagamandalam, The "Queen of hill station" is the capital of Nilgiri district. It is one of the best tourist resorts. Nilgiris is called as "Blue Mountains".The name Nila, we know to have been used over 800 years ago since,the King of the Hoysalas Vishnu Vardhana, who ruled from 1104 to 1141 A.D. seized the Nilgiris Plateau.His general Ponisia recorded this fact in 1117 A.D. with mention of Todas.The name Nilgiri was due to the blue haze which envelopes the range with most distant hills of considerable size.
This Nilgiri territory came into possession of East India Company as part at the ceded lands, held by Tipu Sultan, by the treaty of Srirangapatnam in 1799. Rev. Jacome Forico, a priest was the first European who visited Nilgiris in 1603 and released his notes about the place and people of Nilgiris. In 1812 surveyor William Keys and Macmohan visited the top of the plateau. In 1818, Wish and Kindersley, Assistant and Second Assistant to Collector of Coimbatore visited this spot and submitted their experience report to the Collector of Coimbatore Mr. John Sullivan. Collector Mr.John Sullivan with his party proceeded to Nilgiri Mountain and made camp at Dimbhatti, just north of Kotagiri in 1819 in January. Again in May 1819 he came to the Hill of Ooty and began the construction of his bungalow at Dimbhatti (near Kotagiri), The first European dwelling on the hills. Then the Collector John Sullivan laid path from Sirumugai (near-Mattupalayam) to Dimbhatti in 1829 and the work was completed in May 1823. The Best route up to Coonoor was laid in 1830-32. Ootacamund remained still undiscovered.

The first mention of the place occurs in a letter of March 1821 to the Madras Gazette by an unknown correspondent as "WOTOKYMUND".The first house was build at Ootacamund was undoubtedly the 'StoneHouse' by John Sullivan in April 1822. John Sullivan already started flower and kitchen garden at his Dimbhatti bungalow (Kotagiri). Also he had began at Stone House of Ooty with Scottish Gardener John stone to take care of it. In 1821-22 Caption B.S. Ward surveyed and mapped the hills. Mr Ward said in his writing that travelers temporary bungalows were put up at Kodapamund,Nanjanna,Killur and Yellanhali and European vegetables had been tried including Strawberries and apple.In 1827 Sullivan sums up the progress of Ooty including laiding of Ooty lake. 17 European houses had been build and five more at Kotagiri. Then later on by several Englishmen Ooty, Coonoor and Kotagiri were developed. After 1947. the free Indian people administrators made all developments works of hill station and made popular health and hill tourism resort.


Other Tourist Places to Visit in TamilNadu

Kodaikanal | Courtallam | Thekkady

Copyright @ 2009. www.ooty.net. All Rights Reserved.

This site has been conceptualised, designed and created by Dot Com Infoway